- India has urged the Commonwealth to expedite readmission of the Maldives as a member country.
- External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar conveyed India’s stand at the 19th Commonwealth Foreign Affairs Ministers Meeting in London.
- The Maldives withdrew from the Commonwealth during the tenure of President Abdullah Yameen in 2016.
- The Commonwealth is a voluntary association of 53 independent and sovereign states, nearly all of them former territories of the British Empire.
- Headquartered in London, the Commonwealth was started in 1931.
- The last country to join the Commonwealth was Rwanda in 2009.
- All 53 members have an equal say, regardless of the size or economic stature.