50th Chief Justice of India
November 12 , 2022
- Justice D Y Chandrachud took charge as the 50th Chief Justice of India.
- He will serve as CJI for a period of two years, succeeding Uday Umesh Lalit.
- He has been part of several Constitution benches and landmark verdicts of the top court including on matters relating to the Ayodhya land dispute, the right to privacy and adultery.
- His father YV Chandrachud was also served as CJI.
- He and his father are the only father-son duo to have reached the position of the CJI in the country’s judicial history.