5th Annual World Air Quality Report 2022
March 26 , 2023
- The 5th Annual World Air Quality Report was released by IQAir.
- It states that roughly 60% of cities in India included in the report recorded annual PM2.5 levels at least seven times higher than the WHO guidelines.
- The average PM2.5 level in 2022 was 53.3 pg/m3.
- It is only slightly lower than 58.1 pg/m3 in 2021.
- Bhiwadi in Rajasthan was the most polluted city in the country with PM levels of 92.7.
- Delhi is the most polluted metropolitan city with PM levels of 92.6.
- India has ranked eighth in the list of countries with the worst air quality index.
- It is dropped from the fifth spot the previous year.
- Lahore in Pakistan jumped more than 10 places to become the city with the worst air in the world in 2022.
- 12 of the 15 most polluted cities in Central and South Asia are in India.
- The PM2.5 levels in Bengaluru went up from 29 to 31.5 micrograms/cubic metre.
- In Hyderabad the increase was from 39.4 to 42.4 micrograms/cubic metre.
- Delhi, Mumbai and Chennai saw a marginal drop in the level of pollutants by a few micrograms.
- Kolkata remained the same.
- The US Pacific territory Guam had cleaner air than any country, with a PM2.5 concentration of 1.3.
- Canberra of Australia had the cleanest air for a capital city, with 2.8.