June 2 , 2023
- Researchers have discovered a new species of single-cell algae, known as diatoms, from the northern Western Ghats.
- It is named after a veteran geo-archaeologist, the late Professor S N Rajaguru as Gomphonema rajaguruii.
- It was found in a semi-aquatic environment along the wet walls of Maharashtra’s hill station, Mahabaleshwar.
- It exhibits traits of two genera, Gomphoema and Gomphoneis, making it a noteworthy addition to diatom taxonomy.
- Diatoms play a crucial role in the ecosystem by supplying oxygen to the atmosphere through photosynthesis.