Limiting MBBS Seats in States
November 20 , 2023
- The National medical Commission (NMC) has deferred the decision of re-examining the provisions of the ratio of 100 MBBS seats for 10 lakh population in the state.
- The Undergraduate Medical Education Board (UGMEB) of the NMC has now notified that the clause will now come into force from the 2025-26 academic cycle.
- The National Medical Commission had earlier restricted the number of undergraduate seats in each state to 100 per million population.
- The limit to the number of seats was introduced to limit crowding of medical colleges in a state.
- The move aimed at reducing regional disparities in availability of healthcare professionals and ensure effective quality of education.
- With this ratio there would have been a potential for addition of about 40,000 MBBS seats in country if the medical colleges are evenly distributed.