National Education Day – November 11
November 12 , 2019
- National Education Day is an annual observance in India to commemorate the birth anniversary of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad.
- It is observed since 2008.
- Azad was independent India’s first education minister.
- He established University Grants Commission (UGC) on 28 December 1953, IISCs, School of Architecture and Planning and was the brain behind IITs.
- He founded the Sangeet Natak Akademi (1953), Sahitya Akademi (1954) and Lalit Kala Akademi (1954) to promote education and culture in the country.
- The day is an occasion to remember Azad's contribution in laying the foundations of the education system in an independent India and evaluating current performance of education system.