Novel approach to detect and kill cancer cells
September 18 , 2023
- The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) scientists have developed a new approach to potentially detect and kill cancer cells, especially those which form a solid tumour mass.
- They have created hybrid nanoparticles made of gold and copper sulphide.
- It can kill cancer cells using heat, and enable their detection using sound waves.
- These hybrid nanoparticles have photothermal, oxidative stress, and photoacoustic properties.
- These hybrid nanoparticles absorb the light and generate heat which can kill the cancer cells.
- These nanoparticles also produce singlet oxygen atoms that are toxic for the cells.
- Moreover, these nanoparticles have potential to aid in cancer diagnosis.
- The existing methods such as CT and MRI scans require trained radiology professionals to decipher the images.
- But, the photoacoustic properties of these particles can provide better images with high resolution.