Suranga Bawadi – Ancient Water Supply System
November 12 , 2019
- Suranga Bawadi, an integral part of the ancient “Karez system” of supplying water through subterranean tunnels in Karnataka has been included in the World Monument Watch list for 2020.
- The monument has been selected under the “Ancient Water System of the Deccan Plateau” by the NGO, World Monuments Fund (WMF).
- WMF monitors the restoration of ancient monuments across the globe.
- Karez underground system was built in the 16th century by Ali Adil Shah-I of the Bijapur Sultanate.
- His successor Ibrahim Adil Shah-II added more structures to strengthen it.
- ‘Karez’ is believed to the one of the best water supply systems in the world but it is in bad condition owing to lack of maintenance.