Uttarakhand Tunnel Crash rescue
November 29 , 2023
- A successful rescue operation by NDRF and SDRF teams has led to the extraction of all the 41 workers who were trapped inside the Silkyara tunnel in Uttarakhand.
- The authorities, till now, have used multiple techniques to bring the workers out of the tunnel section.
- Among the different rescue techniques, rat-hole mining (manual drilling) is considered to be the most dangerous and risky.
- Rat-hole miners were the last resort of the rescue operation after the US-made auger machine was extracted from the tunnel after it went kaput.
- Rat-hole mining is a method of taking out coal by digging small pits.
- It involves manually digging up small tunnels, around 3-4 feet, through which workers enter and extract coal.
- But it was banned by NGT in 2014 as a coal-extracting method for being unscientific.
- Rat hole mining is largely prevalent in Meghalaya, particularly West Jaintia Hills, East Jaintia Hills and West Khasi Hills.