- A 7- member team of herpetologists have documented a new species of non-venomous snake in Mizoram.
- It has been named Smithophis atemporalis. It is a predominantly aquatic species.
- It is named after the British herpetologist Malcolm Arthur Smith for his immense contribution to Indian herpetology.
- Locally it is known as Ruahlawmrul or rain-loving snake.
- Snakes discovered from North East recently:
|Arunachal Pradesh||Crying Keelback||Non-Venomous|
|Arunachal Pradesh||Reddish-brown pit viper||Venomous|