July 18 , 2017
• The National Academic Depository (NAD) which is a 24 X 7 online store house of academic awards digitally lodged by various academic institutions / school boards / eligibility assessment bodies has been established.
• The academic awards to be lodged on NAD shall cover degrees, diplomas, certificates, mark-sheets including awards issued for skill development.
• The University Grants Commission (UGC) has been designated as authorized body to operationalise NAD.
• NAD comprises of two interoperable digital depositories viz., NDSL Database Management Limited (NDML) and CDSL Ventures Limited (CVL).
• Maintenance of academic awards in a digital depository not only enables online access, retrieval and verification of these awards, but also helps eliminating fraudulent practices such as forgoing of certificates and mark-sheets etc.
• The Aadhaar will be used for registration and usage of the digital database.
• However, in the event of non-availability of Aadhaar, a unique NAD ID will be generated to facilitate digital services to NAD users.