Excavation at Porpanai Kottai
May 25 , 2023
- The State Archaeology Department began excavation at Porpanaikotttai.
- It is seeking to unearth an ancient fort in the village.
- This site is situated about 6.5 km to the east of Pudukkottai town.
- This is one of the new sites where the department has launched excavations this year.
- The earliest lithic evidence in the form of a memorial stone datable to 3rd - 4th century CE, on the palaeographical ground, found at this site.
- It looks contemporary to the Pulankurchi inscription.
- The memorial stone was raised for a hero Kanankumaran.
- He was a soldier of the close circuit, who died in a cattle raid carried on this village by Ponkongar Vinnakon.
- The ruined fort was probably built in the 13-14th century CE.