Government e-marketplace open to Private
November 11 , 2019
- The Union government plans to open up the national online procurement portal Government e-Marketplace (GeM) to government contractors and private entities but only for bulk buying.
- Currently, GeM allows only government departments and public sector units to buy from the portal.
- GeM, the National Public Procurement Portal is a Section 8 Company registered under the Companies Act, 2013.
- The Commerce and Industry Ministry launched the GeM on August 9, 2016.
- It aims for providing and streamlining procurement of goods & services required by Central & State Government organizations.