Guidelines for Green Hydrogen in Steel Sector
February 12 , 2024
- These guidelines are named Scheme Guidelines for implementation of Pilot projects for use of Green Hydrogen in the Steel Sector.
- Ministry of New & Renewable Energy (MNRE) will implement pilot projects in the Steel Sector.
- It aims to replace fossil fuels and fossil fuel-based feedstock with Green Hydrogen and its derivatives.
- These pilot projects will be implemented through the Ministry of Steel and the Implementing Agencies nominated under this Scheme.
- Three areas have been identified as thrust areas for the pilot projects in the steel sector.
- They are
- Use of Hydrogen in Direct Reduced Ironmaking process;
- Use of Hydrogen in Blast Furnace; and
- Substitution of fossil fuels with Green Hydrogen in a gradual manner.
- The scheme will also support pilot projects involving any other innovative use of hydrogen for reducing carbon emissions in iron and steel production.