September 21 , 2019
- Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL) delivered the second Scorpene Class submarine “INS Khanderi “to the Indian Navy at an event held in Mumbai.
- The fully automated sub will be commissioned into the Indian Navy on September 28 at the Naval Dockyard by Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh.
- The submarine ‘KHANDERI’ is named after the wide snouted Saw fish, a deadly sea predator of the great Indian Ocean.
- The earlier version of Submarine Khanderi was commissioned into the Indian Navy in “1968” and decommissioned in 1989.
- MDL builds the submarines under a transfer of technology agreement with the Naval Group of France.