January 25 , 2023
- The Odisha government has come up with a ‘comprehensive action plan for conservation of elephants and mitigation of human-elephant conflict.
- The State has been divided into four zones.
- The Zone I will be ‘Elephant Conservation Zone’, which is three elephant reserves.
- The Zone II will be treated as a co-existence zone, intending to increase habitat quality and viability and reduce conflict through long- term strategies.
- Zone III will be a Conflict Mitigation Zone where steps will be taken to reduce conflict through short-term strategies.
- The Zone IV will be a no-go area for elephants.
- The jumbos straying in this zone to be captured and translocated forthwith to identified locations.
- In the past nine years, Odisha has lost close to 700 elephants, while the human deaths in human-elephant encounters have reached 860.