November 20 , 2023
- The “marine cloud brightening” is being seriously considered as a way to shield parts of the ocean from extreme heat.
- Water cannons are used to spray seawater into the sky.
- This causes brighter, whiter clouds to form.
- These low marine clouds reflect sunlight away from the ocean’s surface, protecting the marine life below from the worst of climate change.
- Modelling studies are encouraging and suggest it could delay the expected decline in coral cover.
- British cloud physicist John Latham originally proposed cloud brightening in 1990 as a way to control global warming by altering Earth’s energy balance.