Maternity Mortality Ratio (MMR)
November 12 , 2019
- According to the recent special bulletin on MMR released by the Registrar General of India, MMR of India has declined by 8 points in one year.
- It has declined from 130 per lakh live births in 2014-16 to 122 per lakh live births in 2015-17 (6.2% decline).
- Currently, 11 states in India have achieved the target - Kerala, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Jharkhand, Telangana, Gujarat, Uttarakhand, West Bengal, Karnataka and Haryana.
- Four states namely Assam, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan are lagging behind in containing MMR.
- Under the National Health Policy 2017, India has set the ambitious target of MMR of 100 per lakh live births by 2020.
- India is on track of achieving the Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) target for reducing MMR by 2025, five years ahead of timeline of 2030.
- Initiatives such as LaQshya, POSHAN Abhiyan and SUMAN (Surakshit Matritva Aashwasan Initiative) have been launched by Union Government for reducing MMR.