September 23 , 2022
- The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change had recently released the Management Effectiveness Evaluation (MEE-ZOO) report 2022.
- It was created based on the survey of zoos across India.
- India currently has 147 recognized zoos.
- These are categorized as large (17), medium (23), small (33), mini-zoos (60) and rescue centres (14).
- The recent MEE-ZOO evaluated the 39 zoos under the categories large and medium.
- Vandalur Zoo was rated “Very Good” and it is the top performers of large zoo category.
- West Bengal’s Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park is the Top performers of medium zoo category.
- Alipore Zoological Garden, National Zoological and Nawab and Wajid Ali Shah Zoological Garden is the Top performers in context element.
- Top performer in planning element: Vandalur Zoo.
- Top performers in Input element: Vandalur Zoo, Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park and Mysore Zoo.
- Top performers in Process element: Kanpur Zoological Park and Mysore Zoo.
- Top performers in Output element: Vandalur Zoo and Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park.
- Top performer in Outcome element: Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park.