Merger of CGHS with Ayushman Bharat
January 27 , 2023
- Ayushman Bharat and Central Government Health Scheme (CGHS), are two separate health insurance schemes run by the government.
- Central government plans to merge all existing state and central government-run health insurance schemes under the Ayushman Bharat umbrella.
- Ayushman Bharat was launched in September 2018.
- The scheme provides an annual health cover of Rs 5 lakh per family to more than 10.74 crore poor families — about 50 crore people.
- It covers secondary and tertiary care hospitalisation.
- Central Government Health Scheme (CGHS) is providing comprehensive medical care to the Central Government employees and pensioners enrolled under the scheme.