November 20 , 2023
- Scientists have discovered two new species of seer fish in Indian waters.
- One of the newly discovered species, previously unknown to science, has been named the Arabian Sparrow Seer Fish (Scomberomorus avirostrus).
- The second achievement of the team was the successful reestablishment of the Russell’s Spotted Seer Fish (Scomberomorus leopardus) as a distinct species.
- Earlier, it was believed to be similar to the Spotted Seer Fish.
- Seer fishes are of considerable commercial importance, and this discovery is seen as a major breakthrough in the field of marine fisheries.