World Fisheries Day - November 21
November 24 , 2022
- It was started in 1997 when “World Forum of Fish Harvesters & Fish Workers” met at New Delhi.
- It was leading to formation of “World Fisheries Forum” with representatives from 18 countries.
- The first World Fisheries Day was celebrated in 2015, marking the inaugural ceremony of the International Fisheries Organization, held in New Delhi.
- This year, the Department of Fisheries celebrated the day in Daman to create awareness on the importance of healthy ocean ecosystems and sustainable fisheries.
- According to the United Nations, two-thirds of the total world fisheries have been overfished.
- India is the world's second-largest producer of fish through aquaculture.
- India is the fourth largest fish exporter globally, as it contributes 7.7% to the world's fish production.
- In 2021, Balasore District (Orissa) was awarded as India's "Best Marine District".