World Ozone Day 2023 - September 16
September 18 , 2023
- This day aims to inform people about the significance of the ozone layer along with how its depletion can have adverse effects on human health, ecosystems and the environment
- On September 16, 1987, the United Nations and 45 other countries signed the Montreal Protocol, on substances that deplete the Ozone layer.
- Hence, every year this day is celebrated as the International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone layer.
- On September 16, 2009, the Vienna Convention and the Montreal Protocol became the first treaties in the history of the United Nations to achieve universal ratification.
- The Kigali Amendment to the Montreal Protocol is legally binding and came into force from 1 January 2019.
- The amendment aims to phase out Hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), a family of potent greenhouse gases by the late 2040s.
- The theme this year is “Montreal Protocol: Fixing the Ozone Layer and Reducing Climate Change”.