World's first sperm whale reserve
November 20 , 2023
- The Caribbean Island of Dominica is creating the world’s first marine protected area for one of Earth’s largest animals: the endangered sperm whale.
- Nearly 300 sq miles (800 sq km) of royal blue waters on the western side of the island nation will be designated as a reserve.
- Fewer than 500 sperm whales are estimated to live in the waters surrounding Dominica.
- Sperm whales can produce a single calf every five to seven years.
- In the pre-whaling days, an estimated 2 million sperm whales roamed the Earth’s deep waters but now, some 800,000 are left.